Notice on Change of Wi-Fi Service
To facilitate the public to use the free Wi-Fi services provided by the Government or private service providers under the public-private collaboration model of the “Wi-Fi.HK” scheme, the free Wi-Fi services at government venues will adopt the new Service Set Identifiers (SSIDs) (“Wi-Fi.HK”) progressively. The existing Wi-Fi services with SSIDs “freegovwifi”, “freegovwifi-e” and “Wi-Fi.HK via GovWiFi” will be terminated in due course.
For details, please visit the latest information on the change of service of GovWiFi venueshttp://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/wifihk/
To find more free Wi-Fi locations, please visit the 「Wi-Fi.HK」websitehttp://wi-fi.hk/en/HotspotLocation
Notice on Stopping Service of GovWiFi Mobile App
The service of the GovWiFi Mobile App has been stopped on 7 May 2018. You can use the “Wi-Fi.HK” mobile app to search GovWiFi hotspots as well as the free Wi-Fi.HK hotspots provided by other public and private organisations. The “Wi-Fi.HK” Mobile App can be downloaded at “Wi-Fi.HK” website (www.wi-fi.hk).
Starting from 24 May 2017, the encrypted channel (Network ID (SSID) "freegovwifi-e" ) of the GovWiFi service has adopted the e-Certificate issued by "Hongkong Post".
If your mobile device has been configured with the GovWiFi encrypted channel, please note the following steps when you use the encrypted channel again:
- For Android device users, re-configuration is not required.
- For iOS device users, you will be prompted to accept the new e-Certificate.
- For Windows device users, you should remove the existing "freegovwifi-e" wireless network setting and setup the encrypted channel again. For details, please refer to the setup guide ( http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/ ).
Please note that the encrypted channel of the GovWiFi service can only provide encryption between the computer/mobile device and the hotspot. The data are still unencrypted when transmitted over the Internet when using the encrypted channel, and users should use other secure communication methods like VPN and SSL for better protection, and not to send sensitive information when using public Wi-Fi service.
Common Wi-Fi Brand
To make it easier for the public and visitors to access free Wi-Fi services in Hong Kong, one of the initiatives of 2014 Digital 21 Strategy is to promote a Common Wi-Fi Branding, “Wi-Fi.HK”, for Wi-Fi services which are offered by the public and private sectors completely free or free for a certain period of time in Hong Kong. It will help the public and visitors find and connect to the public Wi-Fi hotspots throughout Hong Kong. GovWiFi is one of the services that joined the common Wi-Fi branding and the SSID used is "Wi-Fi.HK via GovWiFi" which is available in all GovWiFi premises.
To facilitate users in locating the Wi-Fi hotspots within GovWiFi premises, hotspot diagrams of GovWiFi premises are now available under the “GovWiFi locator and premises List” of this website. For better service, users are suggested to use the Wi-Fi service near the hotspots.
2014 TV Announcementhttp://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/new/../../../../en/theme/wifi/wmv/2014api_eng.mp4 (Click to play)
Touristshttp://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/new/../../../../en/theme/wifi/wmv/promotion_tourists.mp4 (Click to play)
Some tips in using the service:
Download the usage tipshttp://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/UsageTips-EN.pdf
Recently launched New GovWiFi premises
- Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge Hong Kong Port, Passenger Clearance Building
- Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge Hong Kong Port, Public Transport Interchange
From 1 Oct 2018, GovWiFi service is closed in the following premises:
- Aberdeen Tree Centre
- Clear Water Bay Visitor Centre
- East Kowloon Chest Clinic
- Invest Hong Kong
- Ngau Tau Kok Education and Training Centre in Family Medicine
- Oral Health Education Unit
- Sam Tung Uk Museum
- Shek Kip Mei Chest Clinic
- Shing Mun Country Park Visitor Centre
- Tin Wan Market Cooked Food Centre
- Water Supplies Department - Wan Chai Customer Enquiry Centre
- Lantau Link Visitors Centre(Service Suspension)
From 20 Oct 2017, GovWiFi service is closed in Central Market. Public may go to the following nearby GovWiFi premises for using WiFi service:
- Central and Western District Office - Public Enquiry Service Centre
- Harbour Building
- Immigration - Hong Kong Island Travel Documents Issuing Office
From 25 Dec 2016, GovWiFi service is closed in North Lamma Public Library. Public may go to the following nearby GovWiFi premises for using WiFi service:
- South Lamma Public Library
From 25 Dec 2016, GovWiFi service is closed in Tsuen Wan Law Courts Building. Public may go to the following nearby GovWiFi premises for using WiFi service:
- Tsuen Wan Town Hall
- Sha Tsui Road Playground
The following premises are under renovation/improvement works. GovWiFi service may be affected in the premises.
- Fu Shin Sports Centre
- Hong Kong Park
- Kowloon Park
- Kwun Tong Promenade
- North District Park
- Quarry Bay Park
- Repulse Bay Beach
- Tai Po Waterfront Park
- Tamar Park cum Central and Western District Promenade (Central Section)
- Tsing Yi Park
- Yuen Long Park
- Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defence
- Siu Sai Wan Sports Ground
- Stanley Main Beach
- Stanley Main Beach Water Sports Centre
- Mong Kok Police Station
- North District Sports Ground
- Robert Black Maternal and Child Health Centre
- Tuen Mun Park
For enquiries, please call our 24-hour Hotline (852) 186 111.
Last revision date: 2018