GovWiFi aims to provide free Wi-Fi Internet access at designated government premises. To connect to the government Wi-Fi facilities, you just need a Wi-Fi device that is compatible to IEEE 802.11 b/g/n standards. No user registration is required. Currently, the service supports the 2.4 GHz frequency band only. As there are many Wi-Fi mobile devices available in the market and new models are coming out from time to time, there may be compatibility issue with some models of devices. Please contact the GovWiFi Helpdesk for assistance.
Security and Privacy Protection
For security and privacy protection, you are advised to use the encrypted channel whenever possible. If your mobile device supports IEEE 802.1x and WPA2-Enterprise, you should use the encrypted channel. If your mobile device is not equipped with the required encryption function, you can use the unencrypted channel. But, in such a case, you are advised to transmit non-sensitive information or perform web browsing only as transmission in this mode is unencrypted and therefore unprotected.
Be Aware of Auto-switching of Internet Access Connection
Some mobile devices may have the feature of switching between Wi-Fi and other mobile data services such as GPRS, 3G/3.5G/4G. This switching would be triggered automatically depending on signal strengths of systems concerned, and may not be of notice to the user. If you want to avoid being unintentionally switched to these services (which are normally chargeable), you should disable the automatic connection feature or turn off the Internet access feature of GPRS and 3G/3.5G/4G if such function(s) are available on your device. Please read carefully the manual of your mobile devices and the information provided by your service provider on how to set the desired mode of communication (e.g. Wi-Fi) on your mobile device.
Conditions of Use
To ensure reasonable performance and fair use by all users, there are bandwidth control and time control for each connection. For better understanding of the services to be provided, you are required to read the "Conditions of Use and Disclaimershttp://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/images/DisclaimersEN.pdf" (the Conditions) and accept the Conditions before using the GovWiFi service. A 24-hour Hotline (852) 186 111 is available for addressing any queries on usage that you may have.
How to use free GovWiFi service
- Visit a government venue where GovWiFiservice is provided (these premises will have GovWiFisignage posted, the GovWiFi Locatorhttp://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/../location/ can help you to locate these premises).
- Turn on a Wi-Fi enabled mobile device that is compatible with IEEE 802.11 b/g/n standards.
- Establish your Wi-Fi connection (for details, please see Setup Guides).
- To use unencrypted connection,
- Set the Network ID (SSID) to "freegovwifi" and click "Connect";
- Go to step 6.
- To use encrpyted connection,
- Set the Network ID (SSID) to "freegovwifi-e" and click "Connect";
- Input user name: "govwifi" and password: "govwifi".
(Refer Setup Guides for detail configuration procedures of specific operation systems)
- Open your web browser and accept "Conditions of Use and Disclaimers".
- Start free surfing.
Note :Signal strength of GovWiFi may vary at different spots. Some less powerful mobile devices may have a weak connection at some spots. For a stable Wi-Fi connection, you may move to areas with stronger Wi-Fi signal.
You can verify whether you are connecting to the GovWiFi service by clicking "Verify Service" in the GovWiFi landing page. This should trigger a closed lock icon ( ) being shown on your browser. By further clicking this icon, you can see details of the certificate concerned and can verify whether (a) the certificate is issued by "Hongkong Post e-Cert CA" and (b) it is for the domain "ecert.wifi.gov.hk".
Note :The root certificates of Hongkong Post must be installed in your browser for successful verification (for more information, please refer to Hong Kong Posthttp://www.hongkongpost.gov.hk/index.html). Browsers for mobile phones e.g. mobile safari, might not support the feature of viewing server certificate by clicking on the lock icon. Users can check that the server certificate is issued by Hongkong Post to the domain “ecert.wifi.gov.hk” when accessing the “Verify Service” page for the first time.
Some tips in using the service:
Download the usage tipshttp://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./UsageTips-EN.pdf
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n compatible Wi-Fi device
- Windows based operating systems such as Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP (Service Pack 2), Windows Vista
- Mac OS based operating systems such as Mac OS X
- Windows Mobile 5.0 or above
(The system requirements provided are for information only. You may check the user manual of your device or consult your supplier for more exact details.)
Points to note:
- Ensure that adequate security measures have been implemented on your Wi-Fi devices to protect them against virus and other cyber attacks.
- Observe the Conditions of Use as well as specific rules that may be set out at individual premises.
- Comply with all applicable laws of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
- Access illegal gambling websites or websites with indecent and/or obscene materials.
- Transfer, upload or download unauthorised data, software or works that infringe copyrights or Intellectual Property Rights of any parties.
- Perform improper or illegal activities such as propagating computer virus, sending spam emails, and launching attacks to other Internet users / websites.
- Monopolise or overload the Wi-Fi networks.
(Wi-Fi setup for some common types of operating systems is provided below for reference. It should be noted that the Wi-Fi setup may vary among operating systems, versions of operating systems, and also types of user devices. The setup guides provided below serve as reference only. For detailed Wi-Fi setup of your devices, please refer to the user manual of respective devices.)
- Windows 10http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./win10.htm
- Windows 8http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./win8.htm
- Windows 7http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./win7.htm
- Windows Vistahttp://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./vista.htm
- Windows XP (Service Pack 2)http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./winxp.htm
- Linux Fedora 11http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./linux.htm
- Mac OS Xhttp://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./mac.htm
- Android 2.2, 2.3 or 3.0http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./android22.htm
- Android 4.x, 5.x or 6.0http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./android40.htm
- Windows Mobile 5http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./winMobile5.htm
- Windows Phone 7http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./wp7.htm
- Windows Phone 8http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./wp8.htm
- Other operating systemshttp://www.gov.hk/en/theme/wifi/guide/./others.htm
Last review date: June 2016